Top four animal actors - 6to16

Top four animal actors

Four animals that can change colours, literally, and like a pro.

Eastern bearded dragon lizard

Aug 9 animals that disguise lizard

The Eastern bearded dragon lizard (Pogona barbata) is found in wooded areas in eastern Australia. This lizard can change the colour of its different body parts and according to a recent study, colour changes on different parts of its body actually serve different functions. It can change the colour of  its back in response to temperature (This adaptation allows them to greatly reduce the time it takes to reach active body temperature during the breeding season) while the colour changes on its neck and beard occur for the purposes of communication (it changes colour in these areas from cream to jet-black during social interactions).

Dead  leaf  butterfly

Aug 9 animals that disguise butterfly

The dead leaf butterfly (Kallima inachus)is found in tropical Asia. The upper side of its wings has vivid blue, orange and black patterns. The undersides of its wings, when closed, resemble a dead brown leaf with irregular shades and patterns, darkened veins, jagged edges and even tiny fungus spots! This camouflage helps the  butterfly evade bird predators.

Reef  stone fish

Aug 9 animals that disguise reef stonefish

The  reef stone fish (Synanceia verrucosa) resembles an encrusted rock or lump of coral, and is usually brown or grey with patches of red, yellow or orange. It is a carnivorous fish and also one of the most venomous in the world, possessing 13 dorsal spines that can inject venom if disturbed (or if you step on it in a shallow reef). Its stony appearance allows it to blend in with rocks, corals and pebbles at the bottom of coral reefs, where it waits for unsuspecting food like crustaceans to swim by, before striking with ferocious speed. This camouflage feature allows the stonefish to save itself from those higher up in the food chain like sharks.

Indonesian Mimic octopus

Aug 9 animals that disguise mimic octppus

The Indonesian mimic octopus (Thaumoctopus mimicus) can impersonate local species and predators (most octopus species have specialised pigment sacs called chromatophores to change colour and texture to blend into their surroundings). The mimic octopus is typically brown and white-striped in appearance, and is found in shallow sandy water near river mouths that are often teeming with other predators. When threatened, it rapidly changes its appearance by contorting its body to mimic the shape of more dangerous creatures. It mimics sea snakes by hiding in a hole and sticking two legs out in opposite directions with menacing black and white bands. It can also impersonate other species like lionfish, flatfish, and jellyfish.

You might also like More from author

15 Comments

1. 6to16 desk says

thanks

1. 6to16 desk says

thanks

1. 6to16 desk says

thanks

2. MackOGoudeau says

Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let
    you know a few of the images aren’t loading properly.
    I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different internet browsers and
    both show the same outcome.

3. NoemiMBloxom says

Howdy, In my opinion your web site can be having browser compatibility problems.
    Once I take a look at your website in Safari, it appears
    fine however, when opening in Internet Explorer, it offers some overlapping issues.
    I simply desired to provide you with a quick heads up! Besides that, wonderful site!

1. 6to16 desk says

so what solutions do you offer?

4. lacoste outlet says

I would like to point out my gratitude for your generosity giving support to individuals that really want assistance with this one field. Your real commitment to getting the message all-around became incredibly informative and has without exception made guys just like me to achieve their objectives. Your new informative useful information can mean a great deal a person like me and a whole lot more to my colleagues. Many thanks; from all of us.

5. yeezy boost says

I simply needed to thank you very much once again. I do not know the things I might have followed without the type of basics shown by you about that situation. It became a troublesome concern in my circumstances, but being able to see a new expert avenue you processed the issue took me to leap for gladness. I’m thankful for this service and in addition hope you know what an amazing job you’re accomplishing training many people through a site. I’m certain you haven’t got to know all of us.

6. adidas tubular sale says

Thanks a lot for providing individuals with an extremely superb chance to read articles and blog posts from this blog. It can be so nice and also stuffed with a great time for me and my office friends to visit your web site a minimum of thrice every week to read through the newest guides you have. Not to mention, I’m so usually fascinated for the unbelievable principles you serve. Some 2 tips on this page are undoubtedly the very best we have all ever had.