Quit chewing gum, it ain’t good for you
Chewing Gum is a favourite of all kids, and many adults too. Many of you must be eating it as a snack, a pass time or simply because of the sweet flavour it gives. Although eating it after a meal could be healthy as the saliva released in the process helps to clean the teeth and its flavor can add freshness to the breath, but you must not get addicted to it. It is not a healthy thing to eat as it not only impacts your teeth, but your other body systems as well.
1) It can cause pain, tightening and inflammation of the jaw muscles, ear aches, tooth aches, even chronic headaches.
2) Peppermint-flavored chewing gum can cause gastric acid reflux. Chewing gum that is sweetened with artificial sweeteners can cause indigestion, and may lead to diarrhoea.
3) It contains lots of sugar so when you chew it you are actually bathing your teeth with sugar which can cause dental erosion and tooth decay.
4) Amalgamated dental fillings contain silver, mercury and tin. Chewing gum releases mercury vapour from the fillings, which can be rapidly absorbed into the blood. Even though the quantity of mercury is small, it still contaminates the system.
So kids, do not make chewing gum a habit.