Cooking spray for the baking pan
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
¼ cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
⅓ cup vegetable oil
- With an adult’s help, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Coat an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Measure the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt, and toss the ingredients into a medium mixing bowl.
- Stir the ingredients with a large spoon until all are well mixed.
- Form a well in the batter’s center.
- Crack an egg into a small bowl and beat with a fork.
- Pour the beaten egg into the middle of the well, and then add the milk and vegetable oil.
- Stir the batter until the ingredients are mixed. (It’s OK if some little bits of flour are still visible. You don’t want to overbeat the batter.)
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Smooth out the top using a small plastic knife.
- Ask an adult for help putting the pan in the oven. Bake for about 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and when the top of the cornbread is golden brown.
- Let cool in the pan for about an hour. Cut and serve.