Siddharth Roy Kapur is an eminent film producer, founder and MD of Roy Kapur Films and the President of the Producers Guild of India. He has been the former Managing Director of the Walt Disney Company India and UTV – Studios. Siddharth’s filmography includes some of the highest grossing Indian films of all time as well as genre-defining critically acclaimed films.
|Don Francis-Di-Almeda of Portugal was succeeded as the Viceroy of Protuguese India by Affonso de Albuquerque, who is regarded as the real founder at Portuguese power in India.|
|Mughals, under the leadership of Akbar, defeated Hindu ruler Hemu in the second battle of Panipat.|
|Accession of Jahangir.|
|Chittaranjan Das, freedom fighter, famous lawyer and orator, was born at Calcutta.|
|John Burdon Sanderson Haldane, biologist, was born at Oxford.|
|Initials of the place of issuance of notes were started to be printed instead of Issuing Circle's name.|
|Special commissioner appointed to deal with famine conditions.|
|Balasaheb Devras, sar sanghchalak of RSS, was born.|
|Indian Red Cross society was founded in India under Bengal Act VIII. St.John Ambulance Association is a wing of this societywhich directed Improvement of Health, Prevention of Diseases and Mitigation of Suffering activities.|
|Lord Irwin, Viceroy of India, met Gandhiji, S.Shriniwas Iyengar and M.A. Ansari Congress leaders at New Delhi.|
|R. V. S. Perishastri, former Chief Election Commissioner of India, was born.|
|Narottam Morarjee, great social reformer and the architect of the modern Indian Shipping, died.|
|Arjun Singh, leader of Madhya Pradesh, was born.|
|M. G. Subramaniam, cricket test umpire for 2 tests from 1983-84, was born in Karnataka.|
|Case was filed against the Azad Hind Army Soldiers at Red Fort in Delhi.|
|Faiyaj Khan, famous singer of Indian classical music, died.|
|Western Railways and Central Railways were formed in Bombay; seperate Time Tables were setup.|
|Nehru breaks silence condemning Soviets for repression in Hungary.|
|University Grants Commission Act sets up UGC.|
|Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru arrived in New York. This was the first ocassion when an Indian Prime Minister went to United States.|
|Lok Sabha votes to extend its own life by another year.|
|Indira Gandhi arrested and released unconditionally. The External Affairs Minister, Atal Bihari Vajpayee addresses the United Nations General Assembly in Hindi.|
|Janata Dal splits. The breakaway group claims support of 58 M.P.'s to elect Mr. Chandrashekhar as leader. V.P. Singh's government loses confidence motion in the Lok Sabha.|
|Russi Modi appointed Chairman of Air India and Indian Airlines.|
|Common Guidance test flight of Trishul successful.|
|Narsimha Rao, PM, reaches Argentina for G-15 summit at Buenos Aires.|
|Narashima Rao, former PM, refused bail in St. Kitts forgery case.|
|Madhavrao Scindia rejoins Congress.|
|United Front suffers a setback with one of its constituents, the Madhya Pradesh Vikas party, deciding to walk out and merge with Congress (I).|
|Railway ministry doubles compensation amounts from Rs. 2 lakh to Rs.4 lakh to victims of railway accidents and other untoward incidents.|
|India and Pakistan agree to continue their talks on the Tulbul navigator project on the Jhelum in Kashmir, despite differences over various provisions of the Indus Water Treaty of 1960.|
|Baba Nagarjun "Vaidyanath Mishra" died. He wrote in Hindi, Maithali and Sanskrit. Some of his noted works are "Patra-Heen- Nagna Gachh", "Dukhmochan", "Yugdhara" and "Sahath" "Pret Ka Bayan".|
|India's Aarthie Ramaswamy won the girl's under-18 crown in the World Youth Chess Festival in Oropesa, Spain. Koneru Humpy bagged the silver in girls' under-12.|
|Malcom Marshall, legendary West Indian fast bowler, died at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital after battling colon cancer for over six months.|
|The CBI arrests the Bihar Road Construction Minister Illiyas Hussain and conducts raids in the Bitumen scam case.|
|The Interpol issues a "look-out'' notice for the five persons and two of their accomplices, who hijacked an Indian Airlines plane in December 1999.|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Siddharth Roy Kapur
- Siddharth Roy Kapur is an eminent film producer.
- He was born in a well-to-do family in Mumbai.
- Siddharth was so obsessed with films in his childhood that he used to force his parents to buy film tickets in black for him.
- He was good at studies in his school days and remained the Head Boy of his school.
- During his college days, he headed the Dramatics Society and also edited the annual college magazine.
- In 1994, Siddharth did a summer internship in a small production house in a basement in Worli, Mumbai. He earned Rs. 2000 a month for his internship.
- After completing his Masters in Management, Siddharth started working as a Brand Manager at Procter & Gamble Company in Mumbai.
- Subsequently, he joined the Star network’s strategic planning division.
- He, then, moved to Hong Kong for a short period for a Newscorp Executive Development Program of the Star TV.
- Thereafter, he moved to Mumbai and worked on the launch marketing of the game reality show “Kaun Banega Crorepati.” Siddharth, then, worked as a Regional Marketing Manager for Star TV.
- In 2002, Siddharth was promoted as the Vice President of Star TV. He was the youngest Vice President in Star TV at that time.
- In 2005, he joined UTV Motion Pictures as a Senior Vice President, Marketing & Communications. While working there, he led the marketing panel of various films, including “Rang De Basanti,” and “Khosla Ka Ghosla.”
- In January 2008, Siddharth was promoted as the CEO of UTV Motion Pictures. Under his leadership he produced some of the most successful films of the decade, including “Taare Zameen Par,” “Jodhaa Akbar,” “Fashion,” “Paan Singh Tomar,” “Kai Po Che,” “The Lunchbox,” and “Chennai Express.”
- In 2014, he was promoted as the Managing Director of Disney India.
- In 2017, Kapur left Disney to set up his own production house. In January 2017, he launched his production house, “Roy Kapur Films.”
- Under his production house he produced his first film, ““The Sky Is Pink.”
Siddharth has also produced Netflix’s series “Yeh Ballet.”
- It was filmmaker, karan Johar, who introduced Siddharth with Vidya Balan during a Filmfare Award Function.
- His paternal grandfather, Raghupat Roy Kapur was a film producer.
- Kapur’s maternal grandfather, Sam and grandmother, Ruby Aaron, were teachers of Ball Room and Latin American dance forms in India.
- Kapur has featured on Variety’s #Variety500Global list of the most influential persons in global entertainment for three consecutive years (2018-2020).
- He has also featured on The Economic Times Top 40 Indian Business Leaders Under 40 years of age.
- Siddharth shares is great friends with the film director, Shonali Bose.