Sonu Nigam (born 30 July 1973) is an Indian singer,actor, composer and mimicry artist. He is widely regarded as one of the best Bollywood singers of all time.
|Jahangir, Mughal emperor, weak from asthma and no food, died at Bhimghar near Kashmir. He was buried at Shahdara (Lahore) on the banks of the Ravi. During his last days, he remained in the custody of Aurangzeb.|
|Yashwantrao Holkar, a diplomat of Peshwa kingdom, died.|
|Swami Vivekanand Sister Nivedita, great freedom fighter, revolutionary and politician, was born at Dunganon in Ireland.|
|Gandhiji reaches London. Lives on vegatarian diet. Takes lessons in dancing and music for a short time, thinking they are necessary parts of a gentleman's equipment.|
|Mutyalswami Muniswami Naidu, cricket Test umpire, one test in 1951-52, was born at Vadodara, Gujarat.|
|M.G.K. Menon, Physics expert, was born.|
|Narotam Puna, cricketer (Bombay NZ off-spinner v England 1966), was born.|
|Gandhiji leaves for Calcutta. Riots break out in Bihar.|
|Sheikh Mohammad Abdulla invited to form an interim government in J&K.|
|US pledges to rush arms to India.|
|Padmabhushan Vaikunthbhai Mehta, famous Gandhian leader, passed away.|
|Shantiprasad Jain, industrialist, died.|
|Underground Metro Train Compartments were tested on trial basis at Calcutta.|
|Federal agents early this morning caught Guru Shree Rajneesh trying to flee the country. Rajneesh was charged with violating immigration laws and arranging phoney marriages for his cult members. The religious leader was nabbed at Charlotte, North Carolina airport when his jet, bound for Bermuda, touched down for re-fueling. The Bhagwan ran a commune of about 1,500 people in Oregon. Thousands more cult members live in Rajneesh's native land India and other countries. He knew the federal government had no faith in him after his chief adviser, a woman named Ma Anand Sheela, was arrested in West Germany for several minor offenses. Rajneesh appeared in court on this date clad in a lavender robe.|
|Chruchill Alemao of Goa set free by court.|
|Karnataka government withdraws order allowing nine private organisations to start capitation fee for engineering colleges.|
|L.K. Advani, BJP President, appears personally for the first time in a Gwalior Court.|
|Dengue Haemorrhagic Fever (DHF) spills into Western UP from Delhi.|
|Goa upset Karnataka to win their first Ranji Cricket Trophy game ever.|
|Press Council of India to set up a 5-member committee headed by Chairman P.B. Sawant to inquire into the attack on journalists outside the New Delhi residence of Kanshi Ram.|
|Cabinet permits RBI to issue rupee notes of 1000 denomination.|
|Gold import placed under Open General Licence.|
|Govt. extends ceasefire in Nagaland by 3 months from October 31.|
|Dr. V. Doreswamy Iyengar (77), Veena maestro, household name among Carnatic music lovers, passed away in Bangalore.|
|Ghulam Ahmed, former Indian cricket captain, died in Hyderabad.|
|The 1997 B.C. Roy National Award was presented to 18 medical experts.|
|The 1998 Swarna Jayanti Fellowship Award is presented to 11 young scientists.|
|The Delhi High Court stays TRAI's plan to introduce free incoming calls on mobile phones from November 1.|
|Insurance Bill is introduced amid protest in the Lok Sabha.|
|The Royal Canadian Mounted police arrest two Sikhs, Ripudaman Singh Malik (53) and Ajaib Singh Bagri (51), in Vancouver in connection with the downing of Air India Boeing 747 en route from Canada to London in 1985.|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sonu Nigam
- Does Sonu Nigam smoke?: No
- Sonu Nigam is a popular Indian playback singer who is called “Elvis Presley of India.”
- Sonu gave his first stage performance at the tender age of 3 on the popular song “Kya Hua Tera Vaada.”
- He was initially trained by classical singer Ustad Ghulam Mustafa Khan.
- At the age of 10, Sonu made his Bollywood debut as an actor by playing the role of young Shatrughan Sinha in the film ‘Taqdeer’ (1983).
- In 1991, he shifted to Mumbai from Faridabad, and during his initial days, he used to sing cover versions to Mohammed Rafi’s songs.
- Sonu’s first super-hit song was “Accha Sila Diya” from the film ‘Bewafa Sanam’ (1995).
- Due to his similar singing style to Mohammed Rafi, he was earlier called as “Rafi clone.”
- His albums of the 90s – “Kismat”, and “Deewana” were huge hits.
- If not a singer, he would have been a scientist or an astronaut.
- His debut film as a lead actor was ‘Love in Nepal’ (2004).
- He firmly believes in fitness and is trained in ‘Taekwondo.’
- He has a fear of cockroaches.
- He enjoys doing mimicry of fellow singers and Bollywood actors, which is often seen in various events.
- He has sung songs in various languages like Hindi, English, Oriya, Tamil, Assamese, Punjabi, Bengali, Malayalam, Marathi, Telugu and Nepali.
- He did Hindi voice-overs for Hollywood animated films “Aladdin” and “Rio.”
- He hosted singing reality shows like ‘Sa Re Ga Ma’ (1995-1999), ‘Kisme Kitna Hai Dum’ in 2002, and ‘Life Ki Dhun’ Radioshow in 2006.
- He has been awarded the National Award for the song “Kal Ho Naa Ho” from the film ‘Kal Ho Naa Ho’ (2003).
- When he went to receive the National Award for the song “Kal Ho Naa Ho”, he had a hairstyle similar to that of
Late A. P. J. Abdul Kalam (the then President of India).
- He co-judged ‘Sa Re Ga Ma Pa L’il Champs International’ with Suresh Wadkar in 2007.
- In 2016, Sonu Nigam disguised as a beggar on the streets of Juhu and performed an act, called ‘The Roadside Ustaad.’
- In February 2019, he was admitted to Nanavati Hospital in Mumbai after he got a skin allergy due to the consumption of seafood.
- Following Sushant Singh Rajput‘s death, he posted a video on Instagram on 18 June 2020 in which he accused two music companies of having complete dominance in the entire music industry in India.
- On 22 June 2020, he posted another video in which he allegedly took Bhushan Kumar‘s name and accused him of diminishing his image in the industry. He also warned Bhushan Kumar that he had messed with the wrong person.
- Later, Bhushan Kumar’s wife, Divya Khosla Kumar also posted a video on Instagram in which she questioned Sonu Nigam over his allegations. he also termed him “thankless.”